Saturday, February 5, 2011

How others view my profession

It is hard to draw something that is obscure to begin with, and the field being new adds another dimension of difficulty to this task. The pictures I received were very spot on for a counseling psychologist, but there was no picture that contained my idea of my profession. I think the individuals did the best they could with what they had.
In every picture, I'm sitting down, most of them had me behind a desk. I can see they understood my desire to help others, but it was in which manner that they didn't know. I do not blame them in the least, because my focus is so very specialized in this choice of calling. Was I offended? I was not. I did see that the stereotype of anything labeled "Psychologist" shone through quite strongly, but it isn't offensive. I appreciate the effort of my peers.

1 comment:

  1. I was one of the people who drew your profession and I have to admit, I wasn't sure what to draw! While I have some idea of what a psychologist does, I don't know a lot about the more specific factions of this field. I think you are very right in saying that when a profession has the word "Psychologist" in its title people latch on to "Psychologist" and tend to ignore the rest. I think it is interesting that none of the pictures portrayed your view of your future profession. I wonder why it is that people have a hard time visualizing your profession. Is it a matter of terminology, or is your profession underrepresented by the media?

    ReplyDelete